The Sachs Center offers African American men and women with High Functioning Autism (Aspergers) there own safe space and group experience. We call it BASE: Black Autism Spectrum Experience.
Twice a month, the group meets at the Sachs Center for an hour to connect and share authentically their unique perspective as people of color with autism. Once a month, the group gets together for a social outing for fun and connection.
Previous topics discussed in the group include:
- The feeling of being different
- The pressure from family and society
- Dating and finding a partner
- Setting boundaries with friends and family
- The best movies and video games on the market (a popular topic)
The Sachs Center also has connections through Birch Family Services of Manhattan to find supportive employment for young adults on the spectrum.
To learn more about BASE, email email@example.com or call 646.807.8900